During the setup process, I ran into an issue with the LAN connectivity and could not get connected to the Internet. I kept getting the following error message.
Ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration
I tried a number of cables and various ports on my switches. The rig is in my garage and I’ve got a switch connected via a WD Livewire Powerline adapter. It works fine with other computers but my new MSI Z270-A PRO mobo was having none of it. I was worrid this was the problem and so I started troubleshooting with this as a bias for the cause.
Hours into this, I finally went to the MSI webite for the support page for the Z270-A PRO. (Probably should’ve made it there sooner…)
On the Driver tab, I downloaded the Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers Ver. 10.23.1003.2017, which has a release date of 12/29/2017.
I put the entire folder on a thumb drive and put it on the Z270-A PRO rig. And then, installed the new drivers as follows:
- In Device Manager, select Network adapters > Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. (If it’s not listed there, check in Other devices.)
- Right-click it, and then select Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software.
- Select Browse > go to the top-level folder for the driver on your USB thumb drive (make sure “include subfolders” is checked) > OK.
- Select Next > follow the steps to install the driver > Close.
- After you’ve updated the driver, you may need to restart your rig for the changes to take effect (mine was fixed immediately with no restart).
I hope this saves someone else hours of troubleshooting with this mobo.